Star Media Development Centre (SMDC) is a regional non-profit, non-governmental communication for development organization. We use innovative methodologies to engage the media and other key stakeholders to ensure that the development agenda is shaped and driven by the most affected members of Eastern Africa’s communities.
Our fully fledged TV and radio stations helps us deliver media programmes, tailored talk shows contribute to achieving crucial component of strategic communication thus making us stand out.
SMDC uses a number of innovative communication approaches for development methodologies aimed at empowering communities with information necessary for informed decision-making and knowledge management.
Our Vision: An Eastern and Horn of African community that drives its own development
Our Mission: To support and amplify voices of the poor and marginalised in East and Horn of Africa to shape their own development
Focus of our work
SMDC works to ensure that information is effectively used to foster development by empowering communities in East and Horn of Africa to shape their own agenda. Our focus is particularly on strengthening the voices of the poor and marginalized.
We do this through:
- Innovative communication approaches
- Improving the capacity and quality of the media sector
- Building a foundation of knowledge for media development donors, implementers, and civil society actors
- Working with mainstream media and communications companies
- Interfacing development actors and local communities
- Providing platforms for informed debate and voice